Monday, October 10, 2011

Michael's Birthday Cupcakes

Michael's birthday was almost two weeks ago, so, yes, I am a little behind. As I've said before, I usually make more elaborate cakes for his birthday. I love cake decorating, but I just wasn't feeling it this year. I couldn't come up with a good idea. Then I decided to do cupcakes because I could freeze half of them or more for later. If I bake a cake and it sits around, I'm just going to eat it and I don't need it.

Michael's favorite candy is Snickers. So I finally settled on Snickers cupcakes. The recipe came out of the 2008 Pillsbury Annual Recipes. The frosting is superb. The cupcakes were just ok. Michael and I both decided that they weren't our favorites. The frosting is caramel. If I were to do this one again, I would go with a regular chocolate cake with some chopped snickers mixed in and then this same frosting.

Here's the frosting recipe:
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/3 c butter or margarine
3 Tbsp Milk
1 1/2 c powdered sugar

In a 1 1/2 qt saucepan, cook brown sugar and butter over medium heat just until mixture boils, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in milk. Let cool for 30 minutes. With a spoon (I used a whisk), beat in powdered sugar until no lumps remain. Add powdered sugar 1 Tbsp at a time until desired consistency is achieved. I think I added about 4. If you want to pile it on like I did, you will probably want to make double the recipe.

It's a pretty normal day here. I have a to do list the size of Texas and no desire to mark things off of it. Why am I so much better at making lists than I am completing them?

No comments:

Post a Comment