Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cooking with the Shaws - Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Forgive the really crappy picture. I made this for MOPS a couple of weeks ago and I had woken up late and barely had enough time to get to the meeting much less get out the good camera and stuff. So I snapped this with my phone.

This is not a coffee cake as you would normally think of a coffee cake. It's really more of a cream cheese filled pastry. It got rave reviews and I only had a tiny piece left and Joseph ate it on the way home. Thanks, Mary Carol!

Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

2 c plain flour
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 c margarine
1/4 c warm water
1 package dry yeast
1 egg
2 - 8oz packages of cream cheese
1 1/2 c sugar
2 Tbsp grated lemon peel or 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Powdered sugar

Proof yeast by stirring it into warm water. Let set for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix flour, salt, and margarine with pastry blender until mealy. Add yeast mixture. Add egg. Mix and divide into 2 parts. Roll out each part into about a 14 x 20 rectangle.

Mix cream cheese, sugar and lemon. Spread onto pastry leaving 1 or 2 inches of pastry around the edge, Roll up like a jelly roll and pinch edges together. Slit top to allow steam to escape. Bake at 375F for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

I had trouble visualizing this. I don't know if mine turned out how it was supposed to be or not. I will tell you that it confused lots of people because it looked like french bread. Either way, it was delicious. A few notes:
I used both zest and juice.

I made my dough and filling the night before and then finished it in the morning. I don't know if it was because it was cold or what, but it took more like 40 minutes before mine got done.

I forgot the powered sugar. I would have forgotten my head if it hadn't been attached that morning. :)

Is it time consuming? Yes. Is it worth it? YES! Even Joseph approved. And we know what a discerning critic he is.

It's been a busy busy day today and I am just now slowing down at 10 PM. So no life stories from me tonight. I'm out!

No comments:

Post a Comment