Friday, September 30, 2011

Cooking with the Shaws - Fresh Apple Pound Cake



Fall is here, people!! It’s glorious! Right now is that perfect time when it’s getting cooler but the time hasn’t changed yet so it doesn’t get dark so early. 
This recipe screams fall. I know some people don’t like fruit cooked into cakes and stuff. I used to be one of those people. But If you aren’t one of those people, try this one…you won’t be disappointed. Thanks, Libby!
Fresh Apple Pound Cake (pg 226)
3 c flour
2 c sugar
1 ½ c oil
3 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 c peeled, diced apples
1 c chopped nuts
1 c shredded coconut
Mix sugar, oil and eggs; beat well. Mix flour, soda and salt. Add to first mixture. Add vanilla. Mix apples, nuts and coconut. Add to other mixture. Pour into greased and floured tube pan. Bake one hour and twenty minutes at 350 F.

I really liked it. I thought the coconut might be odd in it, but it wasn’t. And if you don’t like coconut, don’t write this recipe off…you can’t taste it. It adds a certain je ne sais quoi.
I also liked that this cake didn’t have spices in it. It’s nice to have the apple be the star without nutmeg or cinnamon or all spice trying to take over.
I used pecans for the nuts, but that’s just what I do. Walnuts would also be great.

I would also like to wish Michael a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! He’s working. He always works on his birthday. Doesn’t matter if it’s a Saturday or Sunday or if he asks off or not….somehow he always ends up working. I have finished his cupcakes. I usually do more elaborate decorated cakes, but I just didn’t have it in me this year. I made Snickers Cupcakes…recipe to come later. If I’m going to blog every day of October, I’m gonna need lots of post ideas. We are heading to my parents’ as soon as Michael gets home. Joseph must be ultra excited because I put him down for his nap almost an hour ago and he is still in there partying. He’s making a heck of a racket with something and I have no idea what that something would be….He’s not crying so I’m not going back in there. Well, guess I should get to packing and loading the car!

I think I figured out what the banging was...I think he killed his humidifier. There wasn't any water in it and it wasn't on, so I'm still not going back there! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment