Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cooking with the Shaws - Quick Corn Light Bread


I love this bread. It’s my mom’s recipe so I’ve had it quite a bit over the years. This was actually my first time to make it myself. It was easy peasy!  Don’t know why it’s called “quick” though….an hour to bake? Quick to mix, maybe. Well worth the bake time though…

Quick Corn Light Bread (pg 109)
1 cup plain flour
1 cup plain meal
½ cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp shortening
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
Combine all ingredients together and place in a well greased loaf pan with waxed paper on the bottom. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until done.

If I ever have a restaurant…which I doubt…this will definitely be a staple. It goes great with soups and I bet it would make great croutons. I could also see it as the base for an open faced sandwich. The texture is out of this world.  I could eat a whole loaf.
One thing though…make sure the shortening is very soft or it is hard to get it all mixed together.
Try it…you’ll like it!!

Smokey is fitting in well. We are having some normal "puppy" issues trying to teach him what to chew on and what not to. That's to be expected. It's really hard when he's chewing on something of Joseph's and I take it away only to have Joseph go right back and give it to Smokey again. He just wants to share.
Joseph is another story completely. He has been a monster more often that not lately. I don't know if it's the terrible twos already or what!! He is really into throwing tantrums and being whiny a lot and hits me in the face when he's mad...that's the worst. We are working on it. My biggest issue is staying calm. I've been getting easily frustrated lately. 

Well, cleaning calls. I haven't been feeling well and my kitchen has kinda gone to pot. I love you, Michael, but cleaning is not your forte. So the kitchen and I had it out earlier. We both said some things that I know we will regret. :) The kitchen was throwing out phrases like, "grease fire" and fruit fly infestation" and I was brings such gems as "bleach" and "trash can" to the conversation. I haven't wanted to cook anything in there so I've got to get back in there and take back what is mine.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment