Monday, September 19, 2011

Cooking with the Shaws - Tasty Green Bean Dish

I am always looking for different ways to prepare the same old thing. This is a fantastic way to jazz up canned green beans. I was a little scared of it at first when I realized that 8 Tbsp of vinegar is like ½ a cup!! Ok, I was a lot scared….but I went ahead anyway. Maybe I used a little less vinegar…. Either way, Dot has a great green bean recipe here.


Tasty Green Bean Dish

2 (16 oz) cans green beans

1 onion, sliced thin

½ package sliced almonds

8 Tbsp vinegar

8 Tbsp sugar

8 slices bacon



Drain and place one can of beans in a 1 quart casserole dish. Place onion slices over beans. Drain and layer other can of green beans over onions. Mix vinegar, sugar, and almonds. Pour over bean layers. Refrigerate for several hours before cooking. Fry the bacon. Pour bacon fat over beans and crumble bacon on top. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Ok, so the first time I read that I needed to refrigerate this for several hours was, oh, about an hour and a half before I was going to serve it. So, instead of several hours, it was several minutes. It still turned out good. Everyone seemed to like it a lot. Except maybe Joseph….but he really doesn’t do green things. He did eat the bacon off the top though. That’s my boy!

I think this would be fantastic for holiday dinners and such. And Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner! Where did August go?

Sliding down the slide at Michael's Employee Appreciation....he only did the obstacle course 50 times or so! :)

Picking the perfect apple


We had a fantastic weekend. We had a yardsale, and while I didn't have a lot of people stop, I sold a lot of stuff. I deem it a success. We went to a birthday party for Michael's dad on Saturday and had a blast. Even if Joseph did have a tumble and scratch his nose pretty good. I think he'll live though. Sunday we went to Michael's work Employee Appreciation Day. Joseph had more fun than anyone there probably. He loved the inflatables. He was so good and didn't even get cranky when we stayed way past naptime!

1 comment:

  1. We always have the green bean casserole for Thanksgiving! Wish you could be here! Sorry about Joseph's boo-boo. This is only one of many! Aunt Janey

    ReplyDelete