Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cooking with the Shaws - Chicken Fried Steak

Growing up, I was not a fan of chicken fried steak. It was just ok in my book. It wasn’t until a couple of years ago when I was trying to use up some round steak that I had in the freezer that I tried it again. It was pretty good. That was just a recipe I threw together. This one is from Aunt Janey. I really liked using the crackers for the breading. It gave a great crunch and saltiness.
Chicken Fried Steak
1 ½ lb beef top round steak, cut in ¼ in slices
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp milk
1 cup finely crushed saltine crackers
¼ c vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
GRAVY:
2 Tbsp flour
1 ½ c milk or water

Pound beef slices to flatten and tenderize. Mix egg and 1 Tbsp milk in a pie pan or shallow dish. Dip meat slices in egg and milk mixture and then coat with cracker crumbs. Heat oil in a heavy skillet. Brown Meat on both sides. When meat is browned, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover skillet, reduce heat and cook slowly for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Remove meat to a platter and keep warm.
To make gravy, reserve 2 to 3 Tbsp of meat drippings in skillet. Blend 2 Tbsp flour into drippings. Add 1 ½ c milk or water. Heat, stirring to boiling. Season to taste and serve with meat.

As I said before, this is a fantastic chicken fried steak recipe. The 45 to 60 minute cook time was either too long or my stove was too hot because mine got a touch burnt on the bottom. It was still delicious. Just watch the steaks. I also didn't cut them into 1/4 in slices....I just cut the round steak up into individual portions and went from there. Mine was probably 1/2 in thick.

I didn’t make the gravy. Neither Michael nor I are big gravy fans so I skipped the effort.
Enjoy!!
We had a good Labor Day weekend. Sunday evening we went to my friend Kelly's house. She has a little girl that is 5 months older than Joseph and twin boys that are 6 months old. It's a busy family. We grilled out in the rain and had a big old time watching Joseph and Samantha play. They were too cute.

All the dishes turned out great Saturday night so that's 5 more Shaw recipes done!!

I know some of you don't care, but for the ones that do...we still haven't adopted a dog. We have 3 that we really like and have applications in on them. We were having problems being turned down automatically because a lot of shelters didn't want to adopt to a family with a toddler. *Rolls Eyes* I can understand their concern, but it's frustrating. If you want to see the ones we are seriously considering check them out:
Rose
Cam
Dusty

Well, I guess that's all for today!! Hope you are having a great Tuesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment