Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cooking with the Shaws - Golden Potato Casserole

Now this one is not your weeknight style side dish. I would say this falls into more of a special occasion or Sunday dinner dish. It's good...let me tell you, but it's kind of time consuming. This one comes from Mary Ann, Rosie, and Lillian.

Golden Potato Casserole (pg 195)

6 medium potatoes
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c butter or margarine
2 c sour cream at room temperature
1/3 c chopped green onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 Tbsp butter

Cook potatoes in skins, cool, then peel and coarsely shred (I just popped them in the microwave to cook). In saucepan over low heat combine cheese and butter. Stir until melted. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream, onion, salt, and pepper. Add potatoes, stirring lightly. Turn into a buttered 2 qt casserole. Dot with 2 tablespoons of butter and bake at 350 until heated through, about 25 minutes.

Everything that is in this recipe is so right, I don't know how it could ever be wrong. It was a hit! So creamy and cheesy and potatoey just the way it should be. Enjoy!

We went to the barn tonight. It was the first time we have taken Smokey. He did so good on the trail ride. Stayed by Spice's side the whole time. I couldn't have been happier. Joseph had a blast playing in the shavings and trying to feed the horses. He also rode with me for a few minutes. I love having him in the saddle with me. It was a fantastic way to spend an evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment