Friday, August 12, 2011

Cooking with the Shaws - Zucchini Provencal

I don’t know what it is with Aunt Lillian and the zucchini. She must be the zucchini lady or something. Anyway, I had been trying to figure out if I like zucchini or not. I have discovered that I like yellow squash somewhat….if it’s fixed right. I grilled some zucchini not long ago and it was ok…but I salted it pretty good and it just tasted like salt…and olive oil. So I don’t think that counts. Then I ran across this recipe in the family cookbook (pg 204). It had all kinds of things that I like and to top it off, it’s covered in cheese. Now, if I don’t like something when it’s covered in cheese, I just don’t like it.

Zucchini Provencal

1 to 2 Tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil

2 to 3 green onions, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

4 to 5 small zucchini, cut into 3 inch pieces

2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped

1 tsp salt

1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley (1 tsp dried)

1 Tbsp fresh chopped oregano (1 tsp dried)

1 Tbsp fresh chopped basil (1 tsp dried)

1 to 2 cups shredded mozzerrella

1 tsp salt

¼ tsp black pepper

Sauté onion and garlic in oil, but do not brown.

Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into 3 inch pieces. Add zucchini to skillet and stir fry until crisp tender.

Add tomato and stir a minute or so. Turn off heat.

Stir in herbs (not in instructions, but I thought the herbs worked well here)

Sprinkle cheese over top and let melt.

Serve from the skillet.

The verdict?

I didn’t like it. I just don’t like zucchini when I can taste it, I guess. The other elements were nice. I love fresh herbs and cooked tomato. I used cherry tomatoes because that’s what I had and I think it turned out fine. I didn’t even use as much zucchini and I cut it way smaller since I was scared of it. Michael thought it was ok. Joseph said, “No.” (WAAAAY too many veggies for him) Shelby LOVED it….he ate Joseph’s and the rest of mine.

I knew it would happen sometime when I would make something I didn’t like. But if you like zucchini, try this. It’s very zucchini-y…Hence the title of the dish.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!! We have a busy one ahead with Michael's step brother (my step brother in law?) getting married tomorrow night. We have the rehearsal dinner tonight and the wedding tomorrow night. Also Joseph has a swim lesson tomorrow....I am NOT going to forget this time!!! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment