Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cooking with the Shaws - Poppy Seed Chicken

Michael and I go to the gym 3 to 4 days a week after he gets home from work. This makes it necessary to either have something really quick to fix when we get home or something that I can make ahead. Rita’s Poppy Seed Chicken (pg 141) definitely fits the “make ahead” category. I simply get it all together in the afternoon and then throw it in the oven when we walk in the door after the gym. It’s ready in 30 minutes and we can get supper eaten at a decent hour. It warm and creamy and really comforting.

Poppy Seed Chicken

1 chicken (or chicken breasts)

1 can cream of chicken soup

8 oz sour cream

40 ritz crackers, crushed

1 stick of margarine

2 tsp poppy seeds

Cook chicken, debone, and cut into bitesize pieces.

Put in the bottom of a greased casserole.

Mix soup and sour cream; spread over chicken.

Melt margarine and add crushed crackers; Sprinkle over soup and sour cream mixture.

Sprinkle poppy seeds on top.

Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes.

I really like to serve this with hot cooked rice or pearled barley. YUM!

If I'm correct, this is my 10th recipe!! 90 more to go! I actually have a few more that I just haven't posted yet. 2 more recipe posts this week and I will be caught up!! I actually have 4 recipes on deck for this week: Chicken Cacciatore, Butter Me Not Rolls, Mario's Carrots, and Chicken Fried Steak.

Oh and Joseph decided that my cookbook made a good scribbling pad today. It never ceases to amaze me how he refused to scribble on the coloring books, etc that I give him and instead goes after my cookbook. No harm done though..I can still read the recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment