Friday, August 5, 2011

Cooking with the Shaws - Chicken Picatta

I made this for my parents and sister while I was home last week. It was a huge hit. The flour on the chicken makes a light delicious crust and the chicken bouillon adds salty flavorful goodness. I made this quite often when I was in college since it didn’t require a lot of ingredients, but for some reason I haven’t made it since until last week. Pity. I’ve been missing out. That’s the good thing about this project. I’m adding lots of things to my regular go to rotation….Things that I can make when I just don’t know what to put on the table. This recipe comes from Linda and is on page 138.

Chicken Picatta

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 egg

3 Tbsp lemon juice (separated)

¼ c flour

1/8 tsp garlic powder

1/8 tsp paprika

¼ c butter

2 Tbsp instant chicken bouillon or 2 cubes

½ c boiling water

Beat egg and 1 Tbsp lemon juice.

Combine flour, garlic powder, paprika.

Dip chicken in egg and then dredge in flour mixture.

In skillet, brown chicken in butter.

Dissolve bouillon in water and pour over chicken. Add remaining lemon juice to skillet.

Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.

I did a few things different. I get all freaked out about not salting my meat. If it doesn’t freak you out not to, then by all means, I think it will be fine. I did add a few grains of salt to my flour mixture. Also, I used chicken tenders because that’s what I had and I pounded them thin. And since I used chicken tenders, I had to almost double my flour mixture to get them all covered. I did not cover my skillet because I wanted my liquid to cook down a bit. But other than that, this recipe is all Linda.

Enjoy!!

I hope you all have had a wonderful week!! I have really been enjoying these cooler mornings. Joseph, Shelby, and I have been spending most of our time in the AM outside taking walks or playing in the yard. We went downtown to the Farmer's Market yesterday and I picked up some wonderful "Sweet Candy" apples and some asian pears. Good stuff.

Oh and one of my good friends, Christy, had her baby Monday morning. So welcome to the world, Baby Gavin!!! They are in Maryland, so I have no idea when I'll be able to meet him.

Anyway, I hope all of you have a great weekend. The huge 127 yard sale is in full swing, so I will be driving carefully. The Hot Rod Nationals car show is also this weekend in Louisville, but Michael has to work most of the weekend so I don't know if we will be able to go or not. Hope you all have big plans or plans to relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment