Sunday, June 13, 2010

Old-Fashioned Blueberry Muffins

I like to make breakfast on Sundays. I don't always get to, but Joseph has started taking a nap shortly after he gets up in the morning so it's a little easier to get something fixed up for breakfast. This morning, I remembered that I had some fresh blueberries that I had bought at the grocery this week. I knew they wouldn't be good much longer, so I decided to make blueberry muffins. This recipe is one of my Aunt Janey's recipes. It is in a recipe booklet she gave me and Michael when we got married and also can be found in the Shaw Family Cookbook. I've been making these muffins for a long time and they are one of my favorites! I do modify them though as I don't care for nutmeg. I add cinnamon instead.

Old-Fashioned Blueberry Muffins
Yields 12 regular sized muffins
Ingredients:
2 c flour
2/3 c sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg (or, in my case, cinnamon)
1 1/2 c unsweetened blueberries (partially thawed, if frozen)
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/2 c butter, melted
1/4 c sliced almonds
2 Tbsp sugar
*I almost always forget the almonds and extra sugar, but they turn out fine)

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Add blueberries and coat well.
Beat the eggs in a bowl.
Add milk and butter, mix.
Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir just until moistened.
Grease muffin cups and fill each 2/3 full.
If you remember, which I didn't, sprinkle each with almonds and sugar.
Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. I used non-stick muffin tins and they were done closer to the 15 minute mark.
Enjoy! I put a little cream cheese on mine:

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment