Thursday, June 10, 2010

Chicken Tetrazzini

I know I said that I would do a Daysie post next, but I thought I needed to put a recipe on here instead...and it could take me a bit to compose my thoughts on Daysie...she is a very complex animal. You'll find out soon.

So, instead, I am posting a super easy recipe from Southern Living. I've really been on a Southern Living kick lately. I have modified the recipe some. I will give you the recipe as it is in the cookbook and then tell you what I did differently. I don't have any pictures...wish I did. It is such an appetizing looking dish. I made this one night when Joseph was being very fussy. I was able to throw the meal together while Joseph was taking a short nap and put it in the oven and all Michael had to do what get it out when the buzzer went off. Here's the recipe:

Chicken Tetrazzini
Serves 6

7 oz vermicelli or thin spaghetti
3 c chopped cooked chicken
1 c shredded parmesean cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 10 oz container alfredo sauce
1 4 oz can mushroooms, drained
1/2 c chicken broth
1/4 c dry sherry
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 350 and cook pasta according to package directions.

Stir together chicken, 1/2 c parmesean cheese, and next 6 ingredients.

Stir in pasta and spoon into 6 lightly greased 8 oz ramekins or a lightly greased 11 x 7 baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds and remaining cheese.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

Julie's variation: Now, I halfed this recipe because I only had 2 ramekins and I really wanted cute little individual servings. I put the 3rd serving in the fridge and baked it for lunch the next day. I used canned chicken (1-10 oz can, drained) and white wine instead of sherry. I'm sure you could leave the wine out all together and just add more chicken broth. I also left out the mushrooms. Neither Michael nor I are big fans of fungus. I did put the almonds on top and I think they really added something to the dish. A nice toasty crunch. Of course, it would still be a delicious, comforting meal without them.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment