Friday, July 23, 2010

Sweet Potato Bread & Pineapple Butter

I made this yesterday because
1) Joseph was taking such a good nap
2) I had 2 sweet potatoes on my counter that needed using
3) I was sick and tired of eating sandwiches and microwaved foods while Michael was out of town.

It is very yummy....
This is from a recipe I've had marked in my 2010 Taste of Home cookbook. Here's how you make it:
You need:
1 3/4 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (I was generous with the cinnamon)
1 tsp nutmeg (couldn't find my nutmeg and I'm not a big fan anyway, so I left it out....hence the being generous with the cinnamon)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c mashed sweet potatoes (I used 2 medium sweet potatoes for the mashing)
1/2 c canola oil
1/3 c water

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine eggs, oil, water, and potatoes. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until moistened.
Transfer to a greased 9x5 loaf pan (I used a 8.5") Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Mine took about 60 minutes.
Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

Now for the butter:
1 stick softened butter (I used salted bc that's all I had, but I think it would have been better unsalted)
1-8 oz can crushed pineapple, well drained.

Stir butter and pineapple together and serve on bread. If you are serving it after refrigerating it, you will need to let it warm a bit...it's a mess to try to spread cold with all those pineapple chunks. I learned that this morning when I had it for breakfast. I found this was best with warm bread so that the butter just starts to melt into the bread. YUMMY! Try it, you'll like it! It would probably also be great to stir in some chopped nuts, like pecans. Maybe next time.

Shelby really wanted some:I gave him a tiny piece thinking he wouldn't like it, but he LOVED it and followed me around for the longest time wanting more. When I took him out to go potty later, he came back in and stopped by the counter where the bread was sitting like, "There's the treat I want...not those ol Milk Bones!"

No comments:

Post a Comment