Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Perfect Thanksgiving Pt 3

I don't really like Turkey.....so when I have the time to fix a ham for Thanksgiving dinner, I take that opportunity. This is a variation on a City Ham recipe that I have used a few times from Alton Brown. I didn't feel like buying a bunch of the stuff he calls for that I only use for this one thing, so I did my own thing this year.


Here's what you need:

A City Style Ham (I'm pretty lenient on what I call a City Ham...basically any kind of ham that isn't a country ham.

Yellow Mustard (brown is also good, but all I had was yellow)

Brown sugar (I used light, but that's because I didn't have dark)

bourbon (in a tiny spray bottle)

graham crackers, crushed (about 6 squares is plenty but it depends on the size of the ham. Mine was pretty small)


I don't have pictures of the steps of this recipe....it began too early in the morning for that. But I do have a finished pic:




Yep, Yummy!

Here's what you do:

Unwrap and rinse the ham, pat dry. Tent loosely with foil and bake at 250 for 3 to 4 hours or until internal temp is 110 to 120.

Remove from oven, remove foil, pat dry with paper towels (I also drained the juices from the pan), trim any excess fat from the outside.

Mix a 50/50 mixture of mustard and brown sugar. Use a basting brush to slather this all over the outside of the ham.

Spray it down with Bourbon

Smoosh (technical term) the crushed crackers on the outside.

Return to the oven at 350 this time and bake for 1 hour longer or until temp is 140.

Let rest for 30 minutes or longer before carving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment