Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cheddar Potato Soup

Since I've been back at the gym, I've been on the hunt for recipes for dishes that I can make earlier in the day or prep and have Michael throw them in the oven or whatnot. Even if I make it to an earlier class (5:00 PM), I still don't get home until close to 6:30 and then it's really had to make a meal and eat before Joseph needs to go to bed. I have found soups to be a good option and we've been eating a lot of them. Plus, they are great reheated and thus make good lunches for me and the Munchkin.

Here's one that I made a little bit ago. I adapted it from Taste of Home. Here's how it's made:

Cheddar Potato Soup
Serves 10ish

1/2 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 c butter
5 c peeled, cubed potatoes
3 c water
3 cups milk, divided
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 c all purpose flour
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
6-8 slices of bacon

In a dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes.

Add Potatoes and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Stir in 2 c milk, bouillon, salt, and pepper. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth. Add to the soup gradually.

Bring to a boil and cook and stir for a couple minutes or until thickened.

Reduce heat and add the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.

Cook the bacon and crumble over top of soup.

Enjoy!!


This is a really awesome super rich tasty soup. There is nothing light about it. Just the thing to eat when you get home from the gym! :) I work out really hard so I deserve a splurge occasionally. Tonight class was so hard I feel like I've been hit by a Mack truck. I think I'll be hitting the bed soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment