Monday, February 7, 2011

Munchkin Madness

We went to my parents' house for the first time in 6 weeks (an eternity for me) this past weekend. The Munchkin, who had gotten in such a good sleep groove for the past little bit, decided not to sleep this weekend. I'm talking the shortest of naps (if he took one at all) and being up most of the night. For the most part, he was in good spirits (amazingly). We chalked it up to all sorts of things...teething, growth spurt, too cold, too cramped/uncomfortable in his pack n play, getting sick....any number of excuses and who knows if any of them are the culprit. He doesn't tend to sleep as well at his Grandparents' as he does at home, but he doesn't usually do nearly as bad as this weekend.

We even went out and bought a crib for my parents' house. Had to buy it at Wal-Mart of all places. UGH. It kills my soul to buy a pack of gum at Wal-Mart, much less a piece of furniture. But if it would help my baby rest, then so be it. I would shop at the devil store. Well, it didn't help my baby rest. Maybe it will in the future. I'm still holding out hope that we didn't just throw money down the drain.

He did sleep for nearly 3 hours during the car ride home. But then, last night, the anti-sleeper struck again at bedtime. He was sleepy at 7:15 which is the normal beginning to our bedtime routine. Well, after wrestling with him for some time, he was still awake at 8:45. I had HAD it. I was tired and grumpy and irritated. I put him in his crib and was just done with it. He fussed about that. I mean, isn't this sleep stuff supposed to get easier? He's over 10 months old.....shouldn't we be moving forward instead of backward? And shouldn't I be better able to handle this stuff when it happens? Because I seem like I'm a lot shorter tempered when it come to sleep issues...I'm pretty good with other issues. I discussed my feelings with Michael and he didn't think things were as bad as I was making them out to be. He thinks things have improved...and I'm sure they have...I was just having a low point.

Well, while we were discussing that, Munchkin actually put himself to sleep. I went to bed shortly thereafter and I didn't have to get up until 3...over 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep! It improved my outlook tremendously. I know I shouldn't worry and that he will sleep eventually, but it's so hard to be positive sometimes.

Also, it snowed again today. I am so sick of snow. Hurry up, Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment