Friday, February 18, 2011

They can't all be winners

Today was just a day full of disappointment. Now, I'm not saying today was ALL bad. Munchkin and I had a good day together laughing and playing. He was really in rare form. I love that little guy so much. Sometimes I don't know what I would do without him. :)

Anyway, it was just one of those days though. First, a friend of mine basically canceled some plans we had made a while back for Monday. Well, actually, she hasn't officially canceled YET, but I know her...I know she's going to.

Then Michael, who has been out of town all week, had to work late and was still 3+ hours away so that meant he wouldn't be home for supper or even before Munchkin went to bed.

It got better for a second when a new friend of mine called and wanted to go out to eat at Johnny Carinos (a place that Michael doesn't like and I LOVE but I'm not going to go by myself). I thought we were basically set except for a time. I told her I would call her when Joseph woke up from his nap. So, I did, but by then she had made plans to go out to eat with her mom since she hadn't heard from me......I guess we had a bit of miscommunication.

To add disapointment on top of disappointment....Michael has still not called to say he is on his way home and it's almost 9. :(

Well, I don't know what ya'll do when you're down, but I cook/bake. For tonight's inspiration, I used these calendars that I have in my kitchen which have recipes on them. I have one that is Betty Crocker (not healthy, but tasty) and one that is from "Eat Better America" (healthy, but as I found out, not necessarily tasty). This month's Betty Crocker recipe is for cupcakes...but it's not really a recipe when all it is is a boxed cake mix, canned frosting, and chocolate drizzle...come on, people! On the healthy calendar there was a Healtified Chocolate Cake.

Healthified Chocolate Cake...I could use that. We could all use a little "healthification."

Sadly, it was one of those cakes that you just know isn't going to be much pumpkin when you put it in the oven. The batter was just not tasty....and it was a lot of work. Melting chocolate, tempering egg yolks, beating egg whites stiff. But I was committed.

Believe me...it tastes "healthified."

So, that's what it looks like in the picture....doused in whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and strawberries.

It needed the help.

I'm not putting the recipe on here since there are many other cakes you can top with whipped cream, strawberries, and chocolate syrup that would be much more appealing.

But the Bourbon Cream over ice...now that is fabulous...and much appreciated on a night like tonight. :)

1 comment: