Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Caramel Baked French Toast

This is one of my favorite breakfast dishes (when I'm not concerned with calories). I've made it when I've had people stay with us. I've made it for breakfast potlucks. I even made it for my parents this weekend. It's really good because you do most of the work the night before and then all you have to do is pop it in the oven in the morning. I know I hate to do a bunch of prep early in the morning.

I will say that if you have issues with foods that kinda stick to your teeth like my husband does, then this may not be the dish for you. If you are like the rest of us (normal...jk) people, then try this. You'll like it.

Caramel Baked French Toast (from Pillsbury Annual Recipes)

Topping:
6 Tbsp butter
1/3 c heavy cream
1 c packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp light corn syrup

Toast
8 slices day old french bread cut diagonally (you can use more slices if your bread is smaller...say baguette sized)
3 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Heat the topping ingredients in a saucepan over med to med low heat stirring constantly until melted and combined. Don't boil.

Pour topping into a greased 9x13 glass dish.

Beat eggs with milk, vanilla and salt. Dip bread in egg mixture. Place bread in a single layer over the topping.

Cover and refrigerate overnight (at least 8 hrs).

Bake uncovered at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Flip the slices of bread over and serve.

This is also delicious cold and left over...just so you know. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, this looks/sounds TASTY!

    Glad you liked Water for Elephants ;-)

    ReplyDelete