Friday, May 13, 2011

Urge to Bake!

We had plans this weekend to go to Tennessee to visit my parents. We were excited for my parents to get to see Joseph walk and it was the only weekend we had free for a month. Michael even took off work so that we could leave at a decent hour. I got everything packed Thursday and was ready to roll.....until....

I called Michael when I was on my way home from the gym yesterday evening. He said that Joseph was really sleepy and had been laying on him for like 30 minutes. I knew something was up...that child never sits still that long. When I got home I took his temp and it was 102. UGH. He didn't touch his supper either, but he still drank his milk. I hoped against hope that this was just some weird "kid" bug that just pops up and goes away.

He didn't sleep that well, and was burning up when I got up with him at 3. His fever was down this morning (probably due to the ibuprofen) but he wouldn't touch his breakfast or drink milk or anything. So off to the doctor we went...and it's strep throat. Poor guy. No one understands strep like me...I got it all the time in college....and I had it not long ago.

So, no trip for us. :(

Well, I don't know if any of you just get the urge to bake, but I sure do. It really hit me today. I don't know if it's because I've been pretty good on my diet or if it's because I knew that I wouldn't be having any of my mom's yummy sweet treats this weekend. But whatever it was, I got the baking bug...not just the baking bug, but also the cooking bug. I decided to combine the urge with cleaning out the freezer, fridge, and pantry and coming up with dishes based on what needs to be used up quickly.

Here's what I made for dessert tonight:

I had some apples that weren't getting any better as well as some oats that had been around a little too long and some ice cream that needed using.

Here's the recipe (slightly modified from Pillsbury Annual Recipes 2008..my favorite cookbook):
Caramel Apple Crisp
Fruit mixture:
2 apples, peeled, cored, sliced
1 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp allspice
1/4 c caramel topping

Topping:
1/4 c oats (quick cooking)
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c chopped pecans
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
caramel topping

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine apple slices, sugar, allspice, and caramel. Pour into a lightly greased 8x8 casserole.

In a seperate bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, pecans, and flour.

Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Sprinkle over fruit. Press lightly.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Serve warm with ice cream and caramel sauce.

YUM!

I don't know what my plans are for the weekend...I'm going to keep my schedule pretty clear since I don't know how much cuddling the munchkin is going to need. I would like to run in a 5K in Bagdad tomorrow morning, but I'm going to play it by ear...one this is for certain...I will be doing more baking and eating. I've already made Banana Oatmeal Muffins for tomorrow morning. They smell delightful! You will see them on here if they taste as delightful!

Have a fantastic evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment