Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy 4th!

I hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th of July! We had a wonderful weekend in Tennessee with family. I got to see some cousins that I haven't seen in a long time and it was wonderful to watch all the kids play together.

I also learned that Joseph is not a fan of the lake. He wasn't big on being on the boat and he SCREAMED when I got him in the water. He didn't even want to be around me after I had been in the lake. Weirdo. But he had a blast when he was on dry land.

We came back to Frankfort Sunday night because we ran in the Great Buffalo Chase 5K on Monday. It has become our July 4th tradition. In the 6 years we have been running, we have only missed one Buffalo Chase and that was the year I broke my ankle. It's a really good race. The course is flat and fast and they offer $1000 to the winner, so some really fast people come out.

We have been fortunate that it hasn't been overly hot any of the years we ran the Buffalo Chase. This year it was 70ish (but humid). It spit some rain on us during my 2nd mile, but I didn't mind and Joseph didn't seem to care.

We did pretty good. I was about a minute slower than I wanted to be, but I was happy with my time since I was pushing the stroller which slows me down. I ran it in 34:57 and Michael ran it in 28:47. The winner ran it in 14:23 I think. That's moving.

Afterward, Joseph had a blast playing in the coolers of gatorade and eating oranges and bananas. He was a social butterfly as usual.

We were pretty bushed afterward. We grilled burgers and hotdogs and I made a hot potato salad that I've been wanting to make (delish) using our potatoes and some from my parent's garden. I dug up our potatoes and was disappointed to find that we didn't have many. Live and learn.

Then I fell asleep watching a movie. Fun times.

Today we joined the YMCA, so I'm pretty excited about that. Also, we have been doing this challenge between ourselves where we do a minute of situps, pushups, burpies, and jump lunges and do a 1 mile run. Each category is worth a dollar to whoever improves the most. We also weigh in and whoever loses the most gets $5. But we included Joseph in the weigh in and if he gains a larger % than we lose, he wins. He won tonight. But we were both happy about that. Michael and I were split on the exercises and Michael did his run early and improved his mile time by 17 seconds. I just knew I would never beat that. But...I DID! I ran my mile in 9:11 tonight which is a 37 second improvement!! Woo Hoo! Show me the money! I am $3 richer tonight.

Life is good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment