Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cooking with the Shaws - Sour Cream Pound Cake


I am so sorry that I didn't post any recipes last week!! I was having kind of a lazy week...and when I had time to spare I just didn't want to spend it uploading pictures and typing blogs. Not like it's hard, but sometimes that's just who I am. :) I did a lot of reading, watching movies and tv, and playing video games last week. I did do some cooking and baking though and have not fallen behind in my quest for 100 recipes in the next year. I just have fallen behind in my posting those recipes. So I am going to be trying to catch up this week.

This one is a doozy. I had seen this wonderful looking dessert in Martha Stewart Living with pound cake and fresh peaches and whipped cream. So, I made Rosie's Sour Cream Pound Cake (p 220).

I am new to baking cakes from scratch. I was pretty scared of scratch cakes. Then when I started emulating Martha Stewart, I starting trying them out....Martha doesn't make no box cakes. :) I still get nervous, but this one turned out really well. Be sure to have all your ingredients at room temp before starting.

Sour Cream Pound Cake
2 sticks butter (or margarine)
3 c sugar
6 eggs
1 c sour cream
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla

Sift flour and measure.

Sift flour twice with soda and set aside.

Cream butter and add sugar slowly, beating constantly to cream well.

Add eggs one at a time and beat well.

Add sour cream.

Add flour mixture 1/2 c at a time. Beat well.

Stir in vanilla.

Turn into a well greased and floured tube pan.

Bake at 325 for 1 hr 15 min. Test after 1 hr.

As you can see from my picture, I did not use a tube pan. This cake made 2 loaf pan cakes. I put one in the freezer for later and used the other for my peaches and cream cake. The bake time was about the same though.

If you want to make the peaches and cream cake above, here's how:

Pit 4 medium ripe peaches and slice into wedges. Taste for sweetness. If desired, add 1 Tbsp sugar.

Cut cake into 3 sections lengthwise. Layer bottom section with peaches and top with whipped cream (I used cool whip...it took about 3/4 container). Repeat for center layer. Place top layer on top (duh) and garnish with peach slices, whipped cream, and mint if you are feeling extra fancy. Chill or serve immediately. Freezes well.

Enjoy!

If you want to

No comments:

Post a Comment