Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Crescent Layer Bars

I had a small crisis at work yesterday. I was dealing with shipping out 9000 lbs of fescue seed from our building to go to Maryland for a research project with USDA. I have been dealing with some great people over at Turner Seed in Winchester. However, yesterday, a SEMI showed up to pick up the seed. Great, right....wrong. Not only did I not know this truck was coming until a few hours before it arrived, but you can't get a semi truck back to our dock. After the trucker took out a rather large tree branch and after talking to some really nice UK Policemen, we determined that this just wasn't happening. So, the good people at Turner Seed sent their box truck to pick up the fescue this morning. I knew this was not going to be a fun job, so I decided some treat baking was in order. So, I made these bars. I like to keep people happy.
Here's what you need: I made 2 batches so that is why I have 2 crescent rolls, you only need one/batch.

1 can of crescent rolls
1 cup white chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup pecans
1/2 cup almonds/cashews (I picked these out of a can of mixed nuts; it would have been fine with just pecans)
1 cup coconut (I included this in one batch...it's great with it if you like coconut, but fine to omit)
1 can sweetened condensed milk


Preheat oven to 375 F
Spray or grease a 9 x13 dish. Crisco for baking spray (with the flour in it) is the rockstar in my pantry when it comes to baking. It's amazing.

Roll out crescent dough and mash into the bottom of the dish and about 1/2 inch up the sides.


Bake for 5 mins at 375



Sprinkle chips and nuts evenly over top....




And the coconut if you so desire....

Pour the milk evenly over the toppings


YUM! How could it be bad?

Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375. Cool for 10 minutes and run a knife around the crust. Cool for 1 hour and then put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before slicing.




Cut into squares or bars. These are seriously yummy. And if you are like me and over bought sweetened condensed milk over the holidays, this is a great way to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment