Tuesday, November 10, 2009

First Recipe!!!

Caramel Pecan Pie

I found this in a cookbook and just had to make it as soon as I saw it. It just looked so rich and yummy (and believe me, both are true with this pie). The recipe is as follows:



Crust:

1-2/3 c all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 c cold butter

1/3 c sweetened condensed milk

2 egg yolks



Filling:

1-1/2 c sugar

1/2 c + 2 Tbsp butter

1/3 c maple syrup

3 eggs

3 egg whites

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

2 c ground pecans

In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. It helps to cube the butter first.



Combine milk and egg yolks (save the whites....you will use them in the filling) and stir into the flour mixture until dough forms.
Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 in pie dish. Cover and refrigerate.



In a saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, and maple syrup for the filling. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring contstantly. Remove from heat.

Beat eggs, egg whites, and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Slowly add the hot syrup mixture.



Stir in ground pecans.

I used whole pecans and ground them in my mini food processor. It worked great!
Pour filling mixture into pie crust.
Bake on the center rack at 350 F. Mine did not run over, but it is a good idea to put a cookie sheet under the pie just in case. It's easier to clean the cookie sheet than the oven!



Bake for 35-45 minutes or until set. I actually baked mine close to 50 and it was still a little jiggly in the center. It is a good idea to cover the crust edges in aluminum foil to protect from over browning. I didn't do that since I was out of aluminum foil....guess I need to go to the grocery!

After cooling for a couple hours, slice and enjoy with a glass of milk! Store in the refrigerator. It is also yummy cold!


I hope that you enjoy this pie. It would be great for Thanksgiving! Michael and I enjoyed a couple of slices apiece and now I've brought the rest to work to share. It's a bit much for 2 people!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I am definitely impressed and wish I had a piece. Like all the pictures. You can make one for me next time you come visit.

    ReplyDelete