Sunday, September 1, 2013

Mercer County Run for the Pets 15K

Yesterday I ran the Mercer County Run for the Pets 15K in Harrodsburg, KY.  It is my longest race to date. I had seen the course route info earlier in the week and it made me very nervous. It was super hilly. I'm weird...I like hills...to a fault. I don't like 9.3 miles of relentless hills. I was really excited that 2 of my friends were going to ride with me to the race. I ran it with my friend, Katie. She is quite a bit faster than me and I was really worried about holding her back. She said it was fine though, so we did stick together. I ran my first mile in less than 11 minutes. My normal distance pace is 12:30 to 12:45. I knew I was going faster because my shins and calves were really starting to be felt early. Coming out that fast in the beginning probably did hurt me some, but in the end, it was just a really difficult course....and over 2 miles more than my longest run prior. I finished in 2:01:30 (I think that's what the clock said). I had really wanted to finish in 2 hours or less, but I really crapped out on that last mile and a half. My Map My Run app didn't save my run, either...GRRRR! The race was beautiful though and the other runners were so friendly and supportive. Runners tend to be really nice, but these took it to another level. I will definitely be doing this run again.

Be sure to check out Katie's blog for great pics of us!

My legs were super tight the rest of the day, and I was really sore this morning. I actually felt hungover all day yesterday. I got home and didn't really get too much of a chance to rest and recharge. I'm feeling much more normal now.

We will be out of town next week for one of my best friend's birthday party, so no race next weekend. I think the next one I've got on tap is the Mill Creek Run on September 14. I'm hoping Michael can do it as well. I know he's been itching to see if he can get a below 30 minute official 5K. I'm thinking of doing the CASA Superhero 5K on September 21st and then I have my first ever 1/2 marathon in Nashville on September 28th!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment